Linux Mint 4 Daryna
Linux Mint 4 Daryna Facts:
- Linux Mint is the project created by Clement Lefebvre.
- Linux Mint started out as a fork of Ubuntu
- Linux Mint (from freedom came elegance) is often touted as "Ubuntu done right"
- Linux Mint has several versions: KDE, Fluxbox, Lite, Xfce and a Debian testing version. All versions are closely related and maintained by members of the Linux Mint community
What I liked:
- I popped in the Live CD and I was delighted immediately by the nice, polished and elegant look to it..(It's Minty!)
- I checked Firefox and I was connected to the internet right off the bat, no configuration required.
- I checked Synaptic and found my favorite three applications right there including the non-free flash plugin
- The MintMenu!! The MintMenu is a lovely piece of work..it is the Gnome menu done right! There are 3 columns, and headings (places, system, and applications) the menu is searchable and you can also use the All applications at the top or look in sections..Additionally you can save applications as favorites, which have a menu of their own!!
- Included on the repository is Compiz Fusion and I had a blast with the 3D Cube effects.
- Then there is MintInstall, which a popup asks you what you are searching for..taking you to firefox and the option is presented with a download icon..from there you click download, then ok and mintInstall does the work! (It's supposed to be "one click" but it is really 3 but hey, still super easy!!)
What I didn't like:
- It does require a lot of memory--The mintMenu takes up quite a bit on its own
- It tends to hang a bit on startup for me and I had an issue where I had to twice to boot..odd but I found a fix for that so it wasn't a big deal.
- Clicking on shutdown also produced a lag, which was a mild irritation
I love this distro! Everything just works! It is polished, refined and elegant. I give it an A- for performance and an A for appearance. Basically, in my opinion and that of many is that Linux Mint is what Ubuntu should have been but missed out on being.